This topic contains 4 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  andycawdell1 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

kipper

Hi , I am very new to this site and am looking for some advice on how best to change careers with a view to working for a charity preferably in a fundraising role. I am a graduate with 20years management experience currently working in sales. Many of the roles I have looked at require experience of fundraising which I don’t have, unfortunately I am not in a position financially to give up my job and work in a voluntary capacity so any advice anyone could provide on the best way to break into the sector would be greatly appreciated.

Commercial management and selling skills are very similar to those required for fundraising.

There are plenty of people looking for fundraisers and they don’t all have the resource to advertise here or in Third Sector or elsewhere.

If you want to work locally then get a list of local charities and contact them directly. Put a CV together that highlights the transferable skills.

The Charity Commission website gives you a great deal of information about charities. Also the Institute of Fundraising website.

Do you have any experience working with charities or voluntary groups? If so then talk about it.

If not, then perhaps you may be well advised to get some. You don’t need to give up your job, you can volunteer evenings and weekends and get some knowledge and experience under your belt.

Your local CVS will be able to advise you.

Let us know how you get on and if you need further advice.

Hi,

We have just introduced a new way to help people get jobs, it’s beneficial for both the employer and employer.

http://www.pitchyourcase.com/

The site allows you to post your jobs pitch (or any other pitch for that matter) and may help you get a job more easily as potential employers will also be browsing the site.

Hope I have helped. :)

Regards

Howard Lake
    Participant

You might have done, except you don’t mention if your new service is directly of use to charity fundraisers. Do charities browse your site? Have they employed anyone yet?

If not, then, given this site is for professional charity fundraisers, it might not be relevant.

Howard Lake
    UK Fundraising

andycawdell1

The London Region “What is Fundraising” introductory course comes recommended by over 100 delegates in the last 12 months – but I would say that wouldn’t I as the trainer

Email me at [email protected] for some more details about this and other training possibilities

Best

Andy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.