The Lloyd’s Community Programme is celebrating its 20th anniversary with a series of events involving volunteers and companies from across the market.
Since it was launched by HRH Prince of Wales on 8 February, 1989, the programme has gone from strength to strength, with over 900 volunteers from 60 companies in the Lloyd’s market involving themselves in a range of activities in East London last year.
Volunteering activities range from supporting children in Tower Hamlets and Hackney schools with literacy and numeracy skills to helping to regenerate the local community through team challenges such as renovating local parks.
In recognition of this significant milestone, CEOs from the market have pledged over 20 placements in their companies this summer for students from local boroughs with some of the highest youth unemployment rates in the country.
The students – who will have just completed their A-Levels and are going on to university to study for careers in financial services, business administration, legal and IT – will undertake their paid placements for 6 -13 weeks.
Nick Furlonge, Chairman of the Lloyd’s Community Programme, said:
“I am delighted that Lloyd’s Community Programme’s 20th year has got off to such a good start, with 20 market companies already offering internships to local students this summer.
“This is just the beginning – our vision this year is for 1,000 people from the Lloyd’s market to give their time to the local community. There will be lots of different ways that people can get involved, from sharing their passion for sports with local children, to lending a helping hand to spruce up a local community centre, to sharing some of their professional expertise with a local community leader.”
Michael Wade, Chairman of Optex Group and the first Chairman of the Lloyd’s Community Programme, said:
“The response by the Lloyd’s Market to the vision that was set over 20 years ago for a Lloyd’s Community Programme has been outstanding. A focus on education and employability projects in East London over this period has been a logical way to match the skill sets of our community to help our immediate neighbours.”
Future events include:
• Finals of the Tower Hamlets Schools Public Speaking Competition in the Old Library at Lloyd’s in March which is open to guests; and
• Lloyd’s Cricket Cup for local primary schools at Brit Insurance Oval in April with volunteers needed to help on the day.
Those interested in getting involved in these or other Lloyd’s Community Programme activities should contact [email protected] or call 020 7327 5484.
For further information, please contact
Tel: +44 (0)20 7327 5793 Fax: +44 (0)20 7327 5229 Email: [email protected]
Tel: +44 (0)20 7327 6272 Fax: +44 (0)20 7327 5229 Email: [email protected]
Notes to editors:
1. The Lloyd’s Community Programme gives people working at Lloyd’s and in the Lloyd’s market the opportunity to ‘put something back’ into the community on their doorstep through volunteering. It is run by a management board of senior representatives from companies in the market and supported by the Community Affairs team at Lloyd’s and involves over 60 companies in the Lloyd’s market.
2. Lloyd’s is very keen to support young talent in the market, participating in several market wide programmes, such as the National Skills Academy for Financial Services in Tower Hamlets College programme, which places local graduates in six-week placements in the Lloyd’s Corporation and the market, as well as Lloyd’s own graduate programme, which saw its first intake in September 2008.
3. The CEOs from twenty companies in the Lloyd’s market that have pledged internships for local students this summer in their businesses are:
AEGIS Managing Agency Limited
Amlin Underwriting Limited
Argenta Private Capital Limited
Ascot Underwriting Limited
Atrium Underwriting Group Limited
Canopius Managing Agents Limited
Catlin Underwriting Agencies Limited
Chaucer Holdings PLC
Hampden Agencies Limited
Jubilee Managing Agency Limited
Markel Syndicate Management Limited
Marketform Managing Agency Limited
Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Underwriting at Lloyd’s Limited
Navigators Underwriting Agency Limited
Newline Underwriting Management Limited
RITC Syndicate Management Limited
RJ Kiln & Co. Limited
Travelers Syndicate Management Limited
Whittington Capital Management Limited
732 total views, 2 views today