WELSH CONVALESCENT HOME FOR ALL ARMED FORCES AND VETERANS : APPEAL LAUNCHED TO BUY CARMARTHENSHIRE MANSION
An ambitious plan to save an historic Welsh mansion from ruin by restoring it as a convalescent home for serving armed forces personnel and veterans, who have been scarred both physically and mentally in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. A news conference and photoshoot was held at Gelli Aur ( Golden Grove ) mansion near Llandeilo in Carmarthenshire on Friday 11th December at 10:00.
This is a unique project, in that it unites peace campaigners and those with military service, in a desire to see provision being made for our armed forces personnel, wounded in the fighting in the Middle East.
At present, there is no such provision in Wales.
' The Golden Grove Mansion appeal 'will be launched to raise funds to buy and renovate the mansion and surrounding grounds in the Tywi Valley. This is a multi-million pound project and the charity will seek funding from many sources.
The idea was originally raised by the Union of Welsh Independent Churches, out of Christian concern for armed forces personnel and their families, who presently have to travel to centres in England to visit relatives wounded in the wars.
Appeal organiser KEVIN RICHARDS will be present at the news conference. Also, the Revd GUTO PRYS AP GWYNFOR, President of the Union of Welsh Independents. Kevin is a former combat medic (Royal Regiment of Wales) and Guto is a prominent pacifist.
Historical note: Gelli Aur (Golden Grove) was originally built in 1560 as the seat of the Vaughan family, who were descended from the princes of Powys. About 200 years ago it passed to the ownership of Lord Cawdor, who rebuilt the mansion in its present style by 1834. In later years it housed an agricultural college, but the rambling mansion – which has some 150 rooms – has been empty and on sale for some time. It is a Grade II* listed building within a conservation area. The grounds include a wooded public recreation area and visitors centre. It was also used as an American military hospital, during the second world war.